Date: February 22, 2019
Location: 1919 N. Lynn Street, Arlington, VA
Citizenship Required: Open to all students, but note that non-US citizens are hired infrequently
Fletcher Facilitator: Joel Trousdale
Additional meeting instructions: Take the orange, blue or silver metro to Rosslyn. Please make sure to bring a government issued photo ID, passport or driver’s license. Students should meet in the lobby.
- Kate Thompson (F’98) | Principal | Deloitte Consulting |
- Kate Thompson is a Partner with Deloitte Consulting providing strategy services and technical assistance to international clients in government, business and social sectors. She leads a portfolio of international development programs in emerging economies and countries in transition that are focused on strengthening economic governance, improving infrastructure and service delivery, creating resilient cities, mobilizing innovative financing, empowering women, employing youth and scaling entrepreneurship. Her successful leadership of these and other programs is predicated on her understanding of how technical assistance can be structured and implemented to unlock the value of assets and resources that already exist in these markets to achieve transformative, and sustainable results. Over the course of her career Ms. Thompson has lived and worked in more than 45 countries. She has advised C-suite leaders of some of the world’s largest multinational corporations, worked with the largest donor institutions in the world, and provided technical assistance to national and subnational government leaders throughout Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Eastern Europe.
- Wendin Smith (F’01) | Managing Director | Deloitte Consulting |Dr. Wendin D. Smith most recently served as the Senior Advisor to the Commanding General of the U.S. Special Operations Command, supporting the Command in its capacity as the DoD’s Coordinating Authority for Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction (CWMD). Previously, she served as the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for CWMD, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy (DASD/C-WMD), where she was responsible for establishing policy and guidance to protect U.S. and Allied forces against chemical, biological, radiological, or nuclear attack from state or terrorist actors, as well as for preventing and countering global trafficking in WMD. As part of the C-WMD portfolio, she was also responsible for policies aimed at helping partner countries build capacity in WMD defense and countermeasures, and for representing the Department’s interests on counterproliferation and nonproliferation policies. Prior to her federal service, Dr. Smith led strategic initiatives in defense and national security at Scitor Corporation, to include unmanned systems, CWMD, energy security, and related science and technology areas. Previously, she supported Cooperative Threat Reduction programs for the
Department’s Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA), as well as several programs within the U.S. Departments of Energy’s (DOE) National Nuclear Security Administration. Dr. Smith has founded and operated two woman-owned
consultancies, providing services in strategic planning, international market development, and regulatory compliance to commercial and federal clients. In the mid- and late-1990s, while living in Moscow, Russia, Dr. Smith served as Director of
the U.S. Information Agency’s (USIA/USIS) American Center, supporting educational exchange programs under the Freedom Support Act.
Dr. Smith, a graduate of Dartmouth College, received her Ph.D. and Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, where she focused on International Security Studies and International
Environment and Resource Policy. As an alumna, she was invited to serve on The Fletcher School’s Board of Advisors. Dr. Smith currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the Webb Schools of California, her high school alma mater. Dr. Smith is
fluent in Russian and conversational in German.
- Greg Cooper (F’01) | Senior Consultant | Deloitte Consulting| LinkedIn Profile |
- Warren Sakey (F’17) | Consultant | Deloitte Consulting | LinkedIn Profile |
- Reid Koester (F’13) |Manager, Finance, Investments & Strategy | Deloitte Consulting | Linkedin Profile |
- Gabriela Esmeral (F’16) | Consultant | Deloitte Consulting | LinkedIn Profile |
- Scott Russel (F’11) | Senior Manager | Deloitte Consulting | LinkedIn Profile |
Additional Information: https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en.html